Contempt Of Court Empowering You to Move Forward

Contempt of Court in Worcester Child Custody Cases

Offering Effective Representation to Residents of Hanover & Westborough

When there is an order relating to the custody and support of your children in place, you and your co-parent must abide by all the terms of the order, unless there is a written agreement between the two of you to modify it in some way. However, in some situations, there is not an agreement, and one parent may simply refuse to comply with the terms of the Judgment.

Common examples of possible violations include:

  • Failing to pay court-ordered child support.
  • Refusing to return your children at a designated time.
  • Neglecting to take a child to their extracurricular activities.

When this occurs, the non-compliant parent may be held in contempt of court. If you are facing these proceedings or need help initiating them, do not hesitate to reach out to our extraordinary legal team. With over 35 combined years of exclusive family law experience, our team at O’Connor Family Law is prepared to advise and support you throughout this legal process.

Request your initial consultation by calling (774) 214-2137 or filling out our online form.

Filing for Contempt in Worcester

Being in contempt means that you (or your ex) have disregarded or disobeyed a prior order that was very clear without a reasonable explanation. Besides the fee for the summons, there is no filing charge associated with a contempt. Once you receive the summons on a contempt, you do need to pay a constable to serve the other parent of your child. This usually costs between $50 – $100. Many people are hesitant to move forward because they do not believe they can afford going back to court. If you qualify financially, you can file an affidavit of indigency, and the Court will waive the costs associated with the filing fee and the service.

For people who do not feel comfortable going at it alone, there are ways to utilize an attorney that may cost less than hiring one to represent you fully. Our team at O’Connor Family Law is able to represent people on this type of basis.

We do so by meeting with the person to:

  • review their case
  • helping them fill out paperwork
  • help them understand how to present an argument to the Judge

Once the complaint for contempt is filed, your case is docketed with the court and assigned a hearing date. The court then sends you (or your attorney if you hired one to file on your behalf) the formal complaint and the summons. This then needs to be served on the other party within a certain period of time before the hearing. At a contempt hearing, a judge will listen to the evidence and determine whether the other party’s actions constitute contempt of court.

The evidence the filing party presents may consist of:

  • their own testimony
  • the testimony of any witnesses with personal knowledge of the other parent’s actions
  • any documentation that demonstrates the violations of the court order

Violating a Custody Order

There are various ways a parent in Worcester may violate a custody order and find themselves facing a petition for contempt of court. For instance, if your custody order includes a schedule and the other parent deliberately disregards it, this may warrant contempt.

Other examples of contemptuous interference with a custody schedule include:

  • failing to return the children at the designated times and locations.
  • signing them up for sports and other extracurricular activities during the other parent’s scheduled times without obtaining consent.
  • refusing to allow the other parent to take the children for scheduled vacations.

The language of your prior Judgment is extremely important when determining whether there has been a contempt that took place. This is one reason it is important to have an experienced family law attorney draft or at least review any agreements that you come to and enter in court. The words used and sentence structure really does matter.

Interference with Legal Custody

In Massachusetts, if you have sole legal custody, you make the final decisions regarding your children’s education, medical, religious, and daycare needs. If your child’s other parent changes your child’s pediatrician, enrolls them in a specialized educational program, or hires a new daycare provider without your knowledge or consent, this parent may be in contempt.

Failure to Pay Child Support

Most custody orders contain a provision directing the one parent to pay a certain amount of child support each week or month. If your co-parent has been ordered to pay support and is not doing so or consistently makes late payments without any justifiable reason, those missed or late payments may constitute contempt.

Penalties for Being Held in Contempt of Court in Worcester

If a court is convinced that one parent is in contempt of a custody order, the court may take certain actions.

Some of these actions include:

  • Incarceration until the offending party can demonstrate a willingness to fully comply with the custody order.
  • The requirement to provide makeup time for any time with the children that was missed by the other parent because of a refusal to send the children.
  • Requiring additional payments to be made to start paying back arrears owed.
  • Ordering that other property be sold in order to pay arrears.
  • Ordering them to pay the legal fees the filing party incurred for the contempt action.

If there is an ongoing contempt situation, it’s important to file a complaint for contempt at the right time. Depending upon the issue, filing too soon may cause the appearance of being litigious. Waiting too long can cause the appearance of compliance. A knowledgeable contempt action lawyer can help you file a complaint for contempt or represent you in your defense to ensure your rights are being protected.

Contact a Worcester Attorney to Learn About Being Held in Contempt of Court in Child Custody Cases

If you need help filing a complaint seeking for the Court to hold your ex in contempt or if you have been served this type of action, reach out to our legal team as soon as possible. Being held or holding someone in contempt of court in a Westborough child custody case is a serious matter that requires specific arguments that a lawyer can help you prepare for.

What Our Clients Say

Divorce Is Not a Loss - See How Some of Our Clients Have Overcome Their Situations.
  • I will definitely be referring others to Jolee!

    “I had a tight budget and felt comfortable with their communication about it and the estimate of cost they provided. Jolee asked great questions and seemed to be experienced and knowledgeable.”

    - Nathan P.
  • Caitlyn kept the interests of the child front and center through this process!

    “She was responsive and I believe we reached a good result under the circumstances.”

    - John K.
  • It was such a pleasure to work with Sasha Khan.

    “Sasha was very professional and so caring. ?I spoke to a lot of lawyers prior to choosing to work with Sasha. Once I met with her, I felt comfortable that she will fight for me and my 6 years old son and she did.”

    - Mulu K.
  • O'Connor Family law and its staff were exemplary and highly responsive in facilitating what I needed when I needed it.

    “Caitlin Fletcher handled the sensitive matters regarding my litigation with professionalism and understanding. I felt at all times, advocated and given a clear understanding of my legal options. ...”

    - Michael S.
  • I was represented by Sasha Khan in my divorce and would highly recommend her and O’ Connor Family Law for anyone going through a high conflict divorce.

    “I was represented by Sasha Khan in my divorce and would highly recommend her and O’ Connor Family Law for anyone going through a high conflict divorce. Sasha was always quick to respond to emails and ...”

    - Catherine J.

How We Operate

Empowering You to Move Forward 
  • Education

    We don't believe in telling you what to do. Our team's goal is to educate and provide you with favorable options so that you feel empowered to choose the best outcome for yours and your family's needs. 

  • Team-Focused

    When you work with our firm you become part of a collaborative team. You can rest assured that you have a team of two attorneys and a paralegal behind you, who are always up to date on your case. 

  • Compassionate & Aggressive

    When it comes to divorce amicability is our first step - when that doesn't work, we are not afraid to throw on the gloves. As seasoned litigators, we understand that litigation is not a game; it is fighting for justice for you and your children.

Helping You Make the Best Out of Your Situation

Call 774-214-2137 or fill out the form below to get started on your next step.