We Help With Modifications

Get Real Help From Real People

Dedicated Team With Lived Experience
  • Education

    Our goal is to educate and provide you with favorable options so that you feel empowered to choose the best outcome.

  • Compassion

    When it comes to divorce, amicability is our first step – when that doesn’t work, we are not afraid to throw on the gloves and fight for you.

  • Team-Focused

    When you work with our firm you become a part of our family. You can rest assured that you have a fierce team of advocates backing you up.

  • Honesty

    We don’t sugar-coat here. We say it to you straight so that you always know where your case stands

Westborough Alimony Modification Lawyers in Worcester County

Alimony, also known as spousal support, becomes legally binding just like all the other terms of your divorce when the divorce process has been finalized. While this payment may be in accordance with what you, your ex-spouse, and/or the court have decided at that time, it may not work forever. As time passes, circumstances can change which lead to the necessity of altering the terms of the agreement. You or your ex-spouse may petition the court for a modification of this support at any point where it is justified by a substantial shift in your financial or other life circumstances.

Backed by 35 Years’ Experience in Massachusetts Family Law

If you have questions about altering the alimony provisions of your existing divorce decree in Worcester, Hanover, or Westborough, we urge you to speak with a dedicated Worcester alimony modification attorney at O’Connor Family Law. Because we have over 35 combined years of exclusive family law experience, we can offer highly-knowledgeable assistance in various situations that can impact spousal support. We can advise you on whether a legal basis exists for you to seek a modification as well as accompany you through the entire court process. Alternatively, if an ex-spouse is requesting a change in your alimony that could put you at a financial disadvantage, we can help you fight it in or out of court.

Want to seek or contest an alimony modification? Reach out to us online or at (774) 315-4220 to book a consultation to discuss the specifics of your case.

Potential Grounds for an Alimony Modification

You or your ex-spouse may seek an alimony modification to increase or decrease the existing payment. Regardless of who files the complaint for a modification, the court will only entertain this request if the party requesting it can prove that a substantial change in circumstances justifies it.

Examples of grounds for an alimony modification can include:

  • The supporting party has lost his or her job resulting in an inability to financially meet this obligation.
  • The receiving party has obtained a promotion or gotten a new job resulting in a pay increase.
  • The receiving party has begun cohabiting with another intimate partner.
  • The receiving party has remarried.
  • The supporting party has contracted a serious illness resulting in the inability to work.
  • The supporting party has been seriously injured resulting in an ability to work.

Even if your ex-spouse has begun living with someone else or has remarried, unless these situations have been written directly into the original judgment, your alimony obligation is not automatically terminated. You will need a court order to achieve that. It is best to have these situations addressed and written into the original court order but, if it has not been taken into account, a formal modification petition will need to be filed and your case taken up by a judge.

Some individuals will hold out on going back to court after a job loss with the hope that they will find new employment soon. However, this can backfire because you cannot generally seek an alimony decrease or termination dating back to when you your circumstances first changed. You can only seek a modification dating back to when your complaint is served to your ex-spouse. This means to reserve your right to seek a decrease, suspension, or termination, you must file as soon as possible.

It is also important to note that quitting a job to work at a lesser paying one to avoid alimony doesn’t work either. Voluntarily doing this can lead to a judge imputing your old income to you regardless of your current income. This would mean you would still have to pay alimony based on the higher income while making less.

    "O'Connor Family Law and specifically Lydia Field were amazing throughout my entire divorce process. Lydia was so knowledgeable, responsive, and helpful as we worked through the mountains of paperwork."

    - Sarah M.

    "I am so happy with the services Attorney Khan provided, she came in at the last minute after a previous attorney did not fulfil his duties and she found errors he had made, worked all weekend on a rush to finalize my divorce."

    - Courtney O.

    "LaKeshia Parker Smalls and her team were so wonderful throughout my divorce process. I spoke with a few other lawyers before hiring her who made me feel like a burden with all the questions I needed answers to."

    - Jessica C.

    "Sasha Khan worked with me for 10 months on a child custody modification. She had a difficult case with the opposing party, but was very professional and driven to defend me and give advice through a very difficult time in my life."

    - Shannon W.

No Big Egos Here.
We're the Real Help You're Looking For.

Hands in, team: we're on a mission.

We're a team of real people who have been through what you're facing now. Because we've been there, we know the way out. Call us today.

Reach Out To Get Started