We Help With Contested Adoptions

Get Real Help From Real People

Dedicated Team With Lived Experience
  • Education

    Our goal is to educate and provide you with favorable options so that you feel empowered to choose the best outcome.

  • Compassion

    When it comes to divorce, amicability is our first step – when that doesn’t work, we are not afraid to throw on the gloves and fight for you.

  • Team-Focused

    When you work with our firm you become a part of our family. You can rest assured that you have a fierce team of advocates backing you up.

  • Honesty

    We don’t sugar-coat here. We say it to you straight so that you always know where your case stands

Hanover Adoption Lawyers in Worcester County

Adopting a child can be an exciting and joyous time in your life. However, the process to become an adoptive parent can leave you feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Fortunately, regardless of whether you are single or married, a Hanover adoption lawyer from O’Connor Family Law can help you grow your family. With over 35 combined years of exclusive family law experience, our dedicated attorneys also can assist individuals looking to place a child for adoption, finalize a kinship adoption.

Options for Adopting Children

Sometimes, grandparents adopt their grandchildren, stepparents adopt stepchildren, or foster parents adopt the child they have grown to love. Depending on your situation, a local attorney can help you determine which of the following types of adoption to pursue. 

Adopting Through a Private International or Domestic Agency

Massachusetts only permits private placement adoptions of non-blood relatives through a licensed private or public agency. However, such an agency may authorize a placement selected by a child’s birth parents. One of our attorneys can help you identify and vet reputable agencies or prepare a private petition for submission to an authorized entity.

Stepparent and Kinship Adoptions

The Commonwealth permits private adoptions as well. This is commonly seen where one relative adopts a child from another relative. This may also be referred to as a “kinship” adoption. A stepparent may also adopt a stepchild if they are married to the child’s sole legal parent if the other parent refuses to be involved with the child or is no longer alive. These types of adoptions are usually agreed upon between the adoptive and biological parents. If this is the type of adoption that suits your situation, our lawyers can prepare the paperwork on your behalf in a private setting and without judicial intervention.

Guardianship Adoptions

There may be times that a biological parent cannot care for their child. Sometimes, it is a situation where the biological parents agree that someone else, whether it be a grandparent, relative, or friend, can do a better job at providing for the child then they can. Whether it is agreed to or not, a guardianship can be sought on either a temporary or permanent basis if a parent is unable to provide adequate care and safety for a child.

In those situations, there may be times where an adoption becomes the best choice for a child because the guardian has been the only “parent” the child might know or that the stability of knowing they have a “forever home” is in the child’s best interest where the biological parent cannot resume parental duties although being given every opportunity to be able to do so.

There are also situations where the biological parents may die. In those types of situations, a surviving relative or friend could seek a temporary guardianship. If, after a period of time, the guardian and the child believe it is best, they can then go through the adoption process.

Pursuing Same-Sex Couple Adoptions & Surrogacy Options

Adoptions While same-sex couples may jointly adopt children, Massachusetts does not have specific surrogacy agreement laws. However, couples may adopt children utilizing a surrogacy-based arrangement if the surrogate executes written consent no sooner than four days after the child’s birth, according to Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 210, §2.

Couples considering surrogacy plus adoption should immediately contact a qualified Hanover attorney who can draft a contract between prospective parents and a surrogate mother. Our lawyers at O'Connor Family Law can also prepare consent and adoption paperwork as soon as practicable after the child’s birth.

    "O'Connor Family Law and specifically Lydia Field were amazing throughout my entire divorce process. Lydia was so knowledgeable, responsive, and helpful as we worked through the mountains of paperwork."

    - Sarah M.

    "I am so happy with the services Attorney Khan provided, she came in at the last minute after a previous attorney did not fulfil his duties and she found errors he had made, worked all weekend on a rush to finalize my divorce."

    - Courtney O.

    "LaKeshia Parker Smalls and her team were so wonderful throughout my divorce process. I spoke with a few other lawyers before hiring her who made me feel like a burden with all the questions I needed answers to."

    - Jessica C.

    "Sasha Khan worked with me for 10 months on a child custody modification. She had a difficult case with the opposing party, but was very professional and driven to defend me and give advice through a very difficult time in my life."

    - Shannon W.

No Big Egos Here.
We're the Real Help You're Looking For.

Hands in, team: we're on a mission.

We're a team of real people who have been through what you're facing now. Because we've been there, we know the way out. Call us today.

Reach Out To Get Started