We Help With Modifications

Get Real Help From Real People

Dedicated Team With Lived Experience
  • Education

    Our goal is to educate and provide you with favorable options so that you feel empowered to choose the best outcome.

  • Compassion

    When it comes to divorce, amicability is our first step – when that doesn’t work, we are not afraid to throw on the gloves and fight for you.

  • Team-Focused

    When you work with our firm you become a part of our family. You can rest assured that you have a fierce team of advocates backing you up.

  • Honesty

    We don’t sugar-coat here. We say it to you straight so that you always know where your case stands

Westborough Child Custody Modification Lawyers in Worcester County

Child custody provisions can be one of the most hotly contested issues in a divorce agreement. Once your divorce is final, you may request to change the custodial arrangements outlined in the decree if you can meet the burden of showing a significant change in circumstances. If you are unsatisfied with your current custodial arrangement and need to request a change, or if your former spouse is seeking a modification and you wish to contest it, our seasoned attorneys are here to help.

Our Westborough child custody modification lawyers can provide insight regarding your legal options and help you protect your family. O’Connor Family Law has over 35 combined years of exclusive family law experience. Therefore, we have the skill and knowledge to handle many types of situations and can offer legal guidance on various circumstances regarding the custody of your children.

Call us at (774) 315-4220 or fill out our online form to request your initial consultation.

Reasons to Request a Child Custody Modification

There are several different circumstances in which the court may grant a child custody modification. Generally, you or your ex-partner may only file a complaint for a change in your arrangement if one or both parents experience a significant change in their situation. Additionally, courts will only grant these requests if this change is in the child’s best interests. One common example where a parent may request a child custody modification is when they are moving out of the city or state, which is called relocation. Another situation in which altering an order may be necessary is when one parent is abusing alcohol or illegal substances, and they are no longer fit to retain custodial rights.

As there are two types of custody – physical and legal – it’s important to know which one you are seeking to modify. Physical custody would be where the child resides the majority of the time and the parenting plan schedule. Legal custody would be the right to make major decisions about the child, such as his or her medical care, education, or religion, to name a few.

There are a variety of factors a judge will look at when reviewing a petition for child custody modification. These factors include:

  • The income of each parent.
  • The physical condition of each parent.
  • The emotional condition of each parent.


When Might a Court Deny Modification?

There must be a notable shift in the situation of one or both parents for a custody modification request to be well-founded in the eyes of the court. If the court evaluates the request and deems that the change being requested would not serve the child’s best interests, they may deny the petition. One situation where we have seen complaints for modification be denied is where the child is older – usually around the age of 15 – and the parent who has had more limited parenting time files seeking for the child to come live with them full-time. These types of requests are not always denied, but the Court will always question whether this may be a situation where a teenager has discovered he or she can get away with more at the “non-custodial” parent’s home so he or she decides they want to live there instead of with the stricter parent.

However, at the age of 15 and 16, the Court also considers what’s referred to as “kids have feet of their own,” meaning, if a kid decides to get up and leave one parent’s home at that age, it becomes difficult for the Court to stop them.

    "O'Connor Family Law and specifically Lydia Field were amazing throughout my entire divorce process. Lydia was so knowledgeable, responsive, and helpful as we worked through the mountains of paperwork."

    - Sarah M.

    "I am so happy with the services Attorney Khan provided, she came in at the last minute after a previous attorney did not fulfil his duties and she found errors he had made, worked all weekend on a rush to finalize my divorce."

    - Courtney O.

    "LaKeshia Parker Smalls and her team were so wonderful throughout my divorce process. I spoke with a few other lawyers before hiring her who made me feel like a burden with all the questions I needed answers to."

    - Jessica C.

    "Sasha Khan worked with me for 10 months on a child custody modification. She had a difficult case with the opposing party, but was very professional and driven to defend me and give advice through a very difficult time in my life."

    - Shannon W.

No Big Egos Here.
We're the Real Help You're Looking For.

Hands in, team: we're on a mission.

We're a team of real people who have been through what you're facing now. Because we've been there, we know the way out. Call us today.

Reach Out To Get Started