Incognito Case Evaluation

Get Real Help From Real People

Dedicated Team With Lived Experience
  • Education

    Our goal is to educate and provide you with favorable options so that you feel empowered to choose the best outcome.

  • Compassion

    When it comes to divorce, amicability is our first step – when that doesn’t work, we are not afraid to throw on the gloves and fight for you.

  • Team-Focused

    When you work with our firm you become a part of our family. You can rest assured that you have a fierce team of advocates backing you up.

  • Honesty

    We don’t sugar-coat here. We say it to you straight so that you always know where your case stands

Hanover Alimony Modification Lawyers

Alimony refers to court-ordered financial support owed by one spouse to the other during or following divorce. Once a decision is made that alimony will be paid and about the amount of spousal support one party is obligated to pay, these payments do not generally change unless one or both parties file for a modification. There are numerous reasons why a previously ordered alimony award may need to be subsequently modified.

Whether your ex-spouse remarried, inherited assets or you have experienced a loss of income, a Hanover alimony modification lawyer may be able to help you resolve your post-divorce financial disputes and change your prior alimony amount. With over 35 combined years of exclusive family law experience, our dedicated attorneys have the knowledge and resources to help you, whether you are seeking modification or contesting the request to modify it.

What Types of Alimony Awards Can Be Modified?

Not every type of spousal support allows for judicial modification or termination. If your alimony provisions “survived” the judgment of divorce, this means that they cannot be modified no matter how the circumstances have changed since the time the order was entered. This arrangement often comes up when there is an “alimony buyout” clause or when there is a complete waiver of past, present, and future alimony. There may be some cases where it makes sense to enter into an agreement that provides for a certain amount of regular support for a specific time period and seek that the provision survives, which makes it next to impossible to modify. There are pros and cons to entering into surviving agreements, and you can trust our top-notch team of attorneys to be able to explain the positives and negatives of entering into any such agreement.

Grounds for Modifying General Spousal Support in Hanover

For marriages lasting up to 20 years, general spousal support awards usually end after a specific period determined by the marriage’s length. This time period is called the “alimony duration.” The Court may only award indefinite general alimony if the parties were married for more than 20 years. Even “indefinite” alimony awards will regularly be terminated at some point though. How the termination happens is usually laid out within a divorce agreement, but can include the payor reaching retirement age, the death of either party or if there is a significant change in circumstances that causes a prior alimony award to justifiably be terminated. If the person receiving alimony no longer “needs” alimony, cohabitates with someone for more than three months, or the payor spouse has lost the ability to pay the prior award, the Court could either reduce the alimony amount previously ordered or terminate the award altogether. If you think your situation might justify a change in your previously established alimony order, one of our lawyers in Hanover can assist you in modifying your alimony agreement based on any of these changes.

Extending Rehabilitative Spousal Support

Besides general term alimony, there are a few other classifications of alimony a person could be eligible for. Rehabilitative alimony is one of those categories. Rehabilitative alimony is meant to provide support to one of the spouses until the recipient can support him or herself. Usually, the spouse receiving this type of support is undergoing some sort of job training or education that will enable him or her to obtain meaningful employment to become self-supporting. A rehabilitative alimony award automatically expires pursuant to Mass. Gen. Law §50, which is triggered by the recipient’s remarriage, a specific event that would be defined within the judgment (for example, one year from the date of the graduation), if either spouse dies, or five years from the date of the order. There are very few exceptions to rehabilitative alimony extending past the five-year time limitation. To request an extension, the recipient spouse must be able to show the following: Judges may periodically modify the amount of rehabilitative alimony as necessary during the allowable support period, even if the duration of the payments is not changed. One of our lawyers in the area can assist you in determining if a material change in your or your ex’s circumstances merits modifying your spousal support order.

    "O'Connor Family Law and specifically Lydia Field were amazing throughout my entire divorce process. Lydia was so knowledgeable, responsive, and helpful as we worked through the mountains of paperwork."

    - Sarah M.

    "I am so happy with the services Attorney Khan provided, she came in at the last minute after a previous attorney did not fulfil his duties and she found errors he had made, worked all weekend on a rush to finalize my divorce."

    - Courtney O.

    "LaKeshia Parker Smalls and her team were so wonderful throughout my divorce process. I spoke with a few other lawyers before hiring her who made me feel like a burden with all the questions I needed answers to."

    - Jessica C.

    "Sasha Khan worked with me for 10 months on a child custody modification. She had a difficult case with the opposing party, but was very professional and driven to defend me and give advice through a very difficult time in my life."

    - Shannon W.

No Big Egos Here.
We're the Real Help You're Looking For.

Hands in, team: we're on a mission.

We're a team of real people who have been through what you're facing now. Because we've been there, we know the way out. Call us today.

Reach Out To Get Started